This blog is devoted to my architectural sketching adventures and musings about the integration of architecture and sketching.
I hope not only to share my own on-location architectural sketches but provide tips and methodologies for sketching and understanding architecture.
Also, most importantly, I wish to explore ways in which, in a digital age, we can not only defend but
promote freehand sketching within the architectural profession.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Its all Greek to me..,,

120117 Its all Greek to me
I have been having a break from posting but still trying to do a spread a day in my sketchbook to record the random events of the day. These two pages, from a few weeks ago start a little adventure I plan to have during my evening post dinner cup of tea. I am going to start exploring what I see as essential elements of architecture. Having a knowledge of these things help enormously when sketching architecture.

I am going to start with the classical orders (fancy name for different types of columns and the bits on the top) There are 3 of them: Doric, Ionic and Corinthian ... In fact they became five during the renaissance (tuscan and composite were added) My history of architecture is not to be totally trusted and will be ultra simplified but I will try not to be too incorrect. The 3 orders were codified by the Romans...but they got them from the Greeks. So I am starting with the Greek Doric.

Anyway... Here are my fun, too late at night, sketches of the Doric order. Including the mistakes I made along the way because I drew first and looked second!?!
120118 Columns for my Egyptian, Assyrian(?) and Indian friends
When I posted the above page on flickr, Maarten pointed out that I was a little narrow in my definition of THE orders. Last night I could find any Chinese, Aztec or Mayan columns easily in my library BUT I found these....
So I hope I didn’t offend any one in this regard?!?! I am very grateful to Maarten for pointing my shortcomings... It is great to get such feedback and to then lead me down a little tangent...so thanks!!!

3 comments:

  1. A good way to learn about architecture, we have plenty of Doric columns here. Have you ever been to Sicily?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your work so very much and look at in amazement but I can not very often read the words on the post as to me, they are crowded ...too narrow a space between letters within the words...I would love to read what you have to say---as you're such a good writer...but I'll keep looking at the posts, just the same...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came to this page by searching google. I have located it quite interesting. thanx for providing this. I will have to visit here again! commercial architects atlanta

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin